A Little Up North

on Monday, August 27, 2007
at 1:28 AM


After my Singapore visit last June, our family holiday continued up north to Tioman Island, for another 4 days and 3 nights at Berjaya Resort Tioman. It was more of a getaway from the grinding work and bad air in KL.


Spotted a little kitten.

So we started off at 5.30am from Choa Chu Kang Street 64 through the bumpy, narrow and winding roads to Mersing, before taking the ferry over to Tioman Island.



First thing we spotted when we got down from the car was this building. Which made me a little agitated though.

There were a few MPSJ-looking people walking around the front of that hut with their uniforms not tucked in, smoking, and approaching all the tourists passing through to the jetty for some reason.



They charged each person something like 10 bucks, claiming that it was for preservation of the marine park on the island. Well, it was evidently functional, but there were still a few things I didn't understand about it.

Firstly, if let's say 60 people get on to each ferry to Tioman, and the ferry comes every half an hour during business hours, that's probably 960 people a day going to Tioman, each being charged a sum of RM10, easily totalling up to RM9600. So look here, what on earth, do yall do with ten thousand bucks a day, to memulihara some marine park, which is less than 200 square meters in area? (marine park pics in upcoming posts)

Secondly, why would they wanna set up a separate body and build a whole pusat just to collect money for this fund? That building could probably save half a year's worth of tourists' caj pemuliharaan.

and Thirdly, why are your employees acting like some samsengs at the entrance of a transit to the biggest paradise island on the east coast of your country? they constantly look like they're extorting money and threatening tourists.



But anyway, I'll leave that for the political blog readers to figure out. For now, let's just calm down and get on with the trip, because when mum gives you the =_= and folds her arms like that, you'd better behave yourself, or your holiday might just become a holeyday.



After the ferry and bus ride to the resort, we arrived at the reception which turned out to be such a nostalgic place which we hadn't been to in probably a decade or more.

It was an area with double-room chalets and 4-room houses spread along the shore, with all the facilities and main buildings in the middle.

And since it was none of those shopping or sightseeing holidays, we went straight to our dorm and plunged on to the cozy beds till it was time for dinner.



We thought we'd try some seafood outside the resort, so we stopped by this restaurant, which in my opinion appears to have a name in Malay, similar to the Chinese ones dubbed Double Six Grand Happiness Restaurant.



The food for on our first night's dinner included some basic curry dishes, tomyam soup and best of all, the cheese prawns. we got owned by it, I tell you.



You know, in this picture, or rather in all my pictures taken at that time, you'll notice that my hair may resemble an item that is called at by people who have very bad hairdos/haircuts.

They call it the helmet hair.



I mean, do you notice any difference in the pictures above?! dayumn, this is like the worst period in time for me to keep my hair at that length. It's a horrendous look, I tell you. Luckily I was away on holiday, away from peer pressure and being laughed at.



Here's another one.



No difference again, eh? Although this one makes me look kinda cool though. I look like a stylish war medic or something.



So as a word of advice in the ending of an introduction to my Tioman trip, "don't forget to wear your helmets, because

Labels:








My name is Jon without a H. They call me the boy who's in the wrong academic course - I'm doing ACCA. You'll figure out the rest.

I sway in and out of basketball, rock climbing, frisbee and gym-ing as sports, but I always stick to graphic design and photography. My dream is to either start and develop an advertising and design company, or design and implement a revolutionary accounting and control system for a multi-national IT company. Sounds crazy?

Watch me!

Oh, and I'm a massive Taylor Swift fan.

 



(mouse over to view)


















eXTReMe Tracker    

 
 
 
 
 
 
Creative Commons License 2007 - 2009 Jonming.com - This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 1.0 Generic License